Thursday, November 14, 2013

Fasted Cardio

Have you heard of fasted cardio? It's where you do a cardio session with nothing in your belly and you supposedly burn more calories and fat. I think I tried this a few times in college before swim practice or an early morning weight session because of lack of time and I never felt worse and weak. I do not workout well without food or liquid in my body. Well I tried it again, this week but not on purpose...

Yup, I did fasted cardio for about 8 hours on Tuesday and about half the day Wednesday with a bonus round Wednesday afternoon. Tuesday, I had my morning cup of coffee and then got wind of some really upsetting news that lead me into a day of not eating and running around the house like a chicken with its head cut off. Literally, all day I just did my best to entertain the tot and take care of some issues. The kid got lots of TV, kindle time, and snacks on the couch. I think I had some chocolate covered pretzels for dinner but honestly I am not to sure what was consumed if anything earlier in the day. I am not a stress eater. In fact I am the opposite. With an overwhelming amount of stress I can go about 2 days with only a snack and some water in my system. It's not a good habit, I know that, but the thought of food will literally make me want to puke because my belly is so upset and twisted.

Skip to Wednesday, I was on the phone with the bank and I hear a loud BAM followed by a painful toddler cry. Instantly it hit me that I forgot to close the bathroom door, crap! She had splashed in the toilet and then slipped on the water. That was my best guess, as the toilet seat was up, water around the toilet, she was holding one half soaked shoe screaming and the other shoe was fully soaked next to the toilet. I am sure the lady on the phone from the bank was wondering what the heck was going on as I abruptly hung up to run to my tot. I pick her up and she is crying so hard which made me feel awful that I wasn't keeping a close eye on her, so I start crying. Hooray, we have our first mother daughter cry session. I will also mention my kid stayed in PJ's until about 4pm when I forced myself to get out of the house for a walk. This is where I got her dressed with her shoes on wrong the feet. I didn't notice this until a few hours later (can I get the good mom award now?). No wonder she was not enjoying the walk. This screaming tot walk made me pick up the pace on the walk which turned into a run that made this another fasted cardio session. I did redeem myself with making her an actual dinner and turning off the TV to play with her before bath time.

Today I am trying my best to get back on track and force myself to eat and workout. I think my mind needs the workout more than my body. I need a mental break and need to focus on something else. So the goal today is to eat 3 meals, get out for a walk, and get my weight session on when the tot goes to sleep. Oh, and I must mention thank goodness for my husband, mother, and best friend. A girl has to vent and they have made so much time to talk to me these last few days which means a lot to me! Talking is therapy! Much love to them and their support.

1 comment:

  1. Fasted cardio sounds kind of scary, but I guess it's usually what I do when I work out
    I hope you have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete